Our boarding students form lifetime friendships while developing independence, empathy, and respect for individual differences. By practicing sensitivity, thoughtfulness, and patience, students learn to share space gracefully and contribute positively to the experience of others. Dorm life also prepares students for their college years.
Boarding students are surrounded by a support network of trained and accessible resident faculty to assist with everything from study skills to baking a cake for a friend's birthday.
Evening events might include student government meetings, choir, dance or theatre rehearsals, working out, quiet time in the library, and visits with resident faculty. Seniors also use the photo lab and music center when their academic work is complete.
Dorm Life: Fun Facts
- Students reside in single or double rooms that are furnished with beds, desks, drawers for clothes, and a closet.
- Each dorm has a living/media room where girls can entertain their friends, watch movies, or relax and chat.
- Resident Faculty Advisors and their families live on each floor.
- Dinner for boarding students is at 6 p.m. After dinner, students study and relax.
- At 10 p.m., dorm halls are quiet to allow for study and sleep.
- Students change roommates three times a year to promote new friendships and class unity.
- Students have access to the art, dance, and music studios; pool; tennis courts; exercise room; and computer labs.
- Faculty and students come together for Community Dinner on Monday nights. Teachers and students get to know each other as they discuss topics of the day and upcoming events in a semiformal setting.
- On the weekends, a school shuttle runs to downtown Carmel, Monterey, and Sand City. There are also several stores within walking distance of the campus.
- Students often participate in off-campus activities such as surf lessons or cross-country practice. Organized trips include hikes in Big Sur, beach days in Carmel, shopping in San Jose, and museums in San Francisco. Day students are also welcome on these trips.