Applying to College
Santa Catalina's strong academic program and the success of our past graduates enable students to choose from a wide range of selective and highly selective colleges and universities.
Individual college planning meetings begin in the junior year and continue through the senior-year application process, along with weekly college meetings with the senior class. Representatives from national and international colleges and universities visit Santa Catalina each year to make presentations to interested students. We want each student to be well-informed throughout her individual college admission process in order to make the important decision about where to spend her next four years.
Overview of the process
- Attend selected college presentations during free periods.
- Take a field trip to two Bay Area colleges.
- Register for the SAT and/or ACT.
- Schedule individual appointments with a college counselor to prepare preliminary college lists.
- Attend group planning meetings with a college counselor.
- Think about teachers to write recommendations.
- Complete the SAT or ACT at least once.
- Select teachers to write recommendations and give them the required materials.
- Contact colleges to request information. Visit colleges and schedule interviews.
- Attend individual meetings with a college counselor to refine college lists and get assistance with any related matters.
- Attend Journey class meetings with a college counselor.
- Attend appropriate college representative presentations.
- Register for and take SAT/ACT/TOEFL as needed.
- Acquire additional application materials.
- Fill out Secondary School Report or Transcript Request forms and give them to a college counselor well in advance of deadlines.
- Complete and submit any Early Decision/Early Action applications by the deadlines.
- Complete and submit University of California and/or California State applications by November 30.
- Complete and submit regular applications prior to the deadlines.
- Fill out and submit all financial aid forms by the deadlines.
- May 1: Select a college to attend.