Work at Camp
Counselors and Teachers
Summer at Santa Catalina seeks joyful, hard-working, enthusiastic, and motivated individuals to serve as residential counselors, day counselors, and teachers. We offer highly competitive pay to our employees.
Learn more about the criteria for each position below. All residential counselor and teacher positions have been filled for 2019.
Residential counselors work in teams of three to four with other counselors and are tasked with building community in the dorms. Residential counselors spend mornings and nights ensuring the campers are taking care of themselves; getting to meals, classes, and night activities on time; growing as individuals; and enjoying the camp sisterhood.
Criteria for Residential Counselors:
- Must have graduated high school
- Must be available for the entirety of staff development (June 17-21), camp (June 23-July 27), and camp take-down (July 28-29)
- Preference will be given to candidates who are 18 years old and have completed one year of college
Residential counselors receive room and board and stay in single dorm rooms near their assigned group of campers. During weekdays, residential counselors have up to eight hours a day off to explore the Monterey Peninsula. Additionally, each residential counselor receives a 23-hour off-time period once per week.
Day counselors work 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Additionally, day counselors are asked to assist on Saturdays with breaks for residential counselors after field trips. During weekdays, day counselors serve as aides to teachers during class times. Day counselors are assigned to camper groups and monitor the campers in the dorms during rest hour.
Criteria for day counselors:
- Preference will be given to rising 12th graders and individuals who have just graduated high school
- Must be available for the entirety of staff development (June 17-19), camp (June 23-July 27)
- Must be available from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. weekdays and 7:00–10:00 p.m. Saturdays
Teachers work to create and lead unique classes for our campers. For up to six class periods a day during the weekday, teachers help facilitate new passions and hobbies in our campers. Additionally, teachers are asked to take part in our closing day festivities. Here, they meet parents and help present the new skills campers developed throughout their time at camp.
Criteria for teachers:
- Preference will be given to professionals in their field or those who have worked extensively with children
Open positions for Summer 2019:
- Soccer Coach
- Tennis Instructor
- Arts & Crafts Teacher
- Ukelele Teacher
- Drumming Instructor
- Digital Photography Teacher
- Black & White Photography Teacher